Work at The Fitz
The Fitz Hostel is hiring! See the details below and if you think you would be a good fit for working at The Fitz or have any questions about the position, give us a shout at email@example.com.
Position: Manager, Full-time
Duration: Mid April – Mid November
Hourly Wage: $16 / hour
Application Deadline: February 28, 2018
The Fitz Hostel opened in May 2016 and is the first and only hostel on the Bruce Peninsula – centrally located in the village of Lion’s Head. The Fitz offers comfortable and affordable hostel accommodation with shared dorm and private room options, shared bathroom, fully-equipped guest kitchen, and spacious common areas and backyard.
The Fitz strives to create positive visitor experiences by creating a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere and providing information on local activities, attractions and stewardship. As a silver-level sustainability certification, we endeavour to minimize our ecological footprint in the hostel’s operations and encourage our guests to tread lightly during their stay.
- Welcoming and orienting guests to hostel facilities, customs, and policies, and providing information about the local area in a friendly, helpful and professional way
- Following the hostel’s operating procedures for processing bookings, checking in guests, housekeeping, laundry and basic maintenance, and providing recommendations for improving procedures wherever possible
- Maintaining safety, security and cleanliness of hostel and property
- Training and managing other staff, coordinating scheduling and creating task lists for other staff
- Updating guest information and resources (i.e. chalkboards, bulletin boards, brochures, etc.)
- Updating hostel website, social media and other marketing channels
- Creating and distributing flyers, posters, rack cards and other print marketing materials
- Liaising with other local businesses and organizations
- Supporting implementation of the hostel’s sustainability policy and action plan.
- Assisting with bookkeeping procedures
- Coordinating hostel events and activities
Experience & Skills
The ideal candidate has:
- A post-secondary degree
- Extensive customer service experience
- Business management experience
- Cleaning and housekeeping experience
- Well-developed knowledge of the local area and its tourism activities and attractions
- Friendly and professional verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to think critically and creatively
- Resourcefulness, initiative, and flexibility to function independently and collaboratively
- Strong team leadership, managerial and organizational skills
- Proficiency with email, website updates (WordPress), social media (Instagram & Facebook), Excel, Google Drive, and graphic design
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license
Apply by sending either a written or video cover letter as well as your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should include how you meet or exceed the above criteria, your availability as well as why you would be a good fit for this position and The Fitz Hostel.
The Fitz also has work exchange opportunities. Helpers assist with day-to-day activities (i.e. laundry, housekeeping, checking in & assisting guests and property maintenance). From May to October, we accept friendly, hardworking, flexible individuals who are interested in staying for 2 to 3 weeks, working approximately 4 hours per day, 5 days a week. In exchange, you have private room accommodation with a shared bathroom. Helpers are responsible for their own food. For more information, email email@example.com or find our profile on HelpX.